Granton Schools was honored as a National Department of Education Green Ribbon school this summer at Washington DC. We were one of only 15 school districts recognized with this award for being an environment friendly and sustainable school district.
Welcome to the Granton School Green Team Page
The GREEN Team was created in Granton back in 2009-10 to help promote a Green and Environmentally Friendly lifestyle to our students, staff and community. It organized with community volunteers gathering and has evolved from there.
NEXT Meeting: Tuesday, Feb. 28 - Agriculture Classroom - 7 PM - NOTE Date Changed**
PLEASE Attend....We need more volunteers.
Some of the projects completed include:
- Built 12 raised beds to develop a community garden.
- Helping to till and develop other garden beds to be used for FFA SAE projects and fruit gardens.
- Fenced around the garden area to keep the critters out.
- Built an outdoor classroom shelter area.
- Establishing trails and bridges in the forest area adjacent to school, which has now been declared a second school forest.
- Maintaining the forest learning stations and developing signs for educational purposes.
- Hosting various environmental education events and activities on the property.
- Planting various theme gardens around the property to encourage native plant restoration and continuously maintaining them.
- Developing a composting and recycling program for the school.
- Promoting energy saving activities among students and staff.
- Providing resources for teaching environmental education.
- Much more.....
The GREEN team meets twice a year to plan and implement projects as needed and we are always looking for more volunteers and ideas. Special thanks to all of the volunteers who currently help out!